Pages

Monday, July 28, 2008

2300 AD and Traveller


As some of us know, Mongoose Publishing has released Traveller under a D20-esque open game license, allowing fans to produce their own material for this fantastic game. (I might do it myself if I can come up with some material worthy of publication.) Meanwhile, Colin Dunn, who wrote 2320 AD, the long-awaited sequel to GDW's other science fiction rpg, has decided to no longer work with QuikLink Interactive. It seems he wasn't happy that Hunter Gordon has been waiting over 6 years to publish his work in something other than a "pre-release" PDF available at rpgnow.com and drivethrurpg.com.

All I can see is that I can't say I blame him.

It didn't take long for someone to post a suggestion on the Mongoose Publishing forums that the new home of Traveller to pick up the liscense for this game and release it as a new Traveller setting. Colin, who has taken refuge on Mongoose's forms, has said:
And as to how likely a 2300AD-Traveller conversion is, all I can really say at this moment is: wait-and-see.
And....
Well, it truly is wait-and-see. There has been communication, generally positive, but no offers or decisions have been made, by either me or Mongoose. While I would likely be interested, it depends on what else is going on for me at the time. There are things that I would like to do that I never got a chance to do with 2320AD (like actually see it in print), and supplements and expansions, but it's wait-and-see for me, too.
Personally, I would love to see 2300 AD revived via Traveller. It's my favorite hard sci-fi setting, but I just couldn't rap my head around the original, ultra-crunchy rules. Since 2300 AD and Traveller stem from the same source (Games Designers Workshop), it's only fitting to finally bring these two properties together.

I recommend that you give Colin Dunn your support, and let Matt Sprange know that you want to see 2300 AD in the Mongoose line up!

No comments:

Post a Comment